Saturday, March 24, 2012

Grandma Helen Desler's Apple Pie

This recipe is brought to you from Late Grandma Helen Desler's kitchen to Aunt Rita's kitchen and from her kitchen to mine and from my kitchen to yours.She was a very good cook and she had very unique technique in incorporating in her cooking needs. She was known for her pies and her recipe was passed down the line to next generation. Her daugthers rita and Maryanne.



Grandma Helen Burton used Crisco in doing this pie. Rita makes healthy and nutritious meals everyday. She is very health conscious. She modified this recipe. She replaced  Crisco with Canola oil. I have been longing to make this apple pie for a very long time. Could not get to it. Finally Last week I got time to make it. My MIL Maryanne helped me cut the apples. She was a real trooper.she cut those apples in no time. she is diabetic. so I had to substitute sugar with splenda. Same quantity of sugar. The recipe asks only for white sugar. I modified this recipe with white sugar and raw brown sugar. Enjoy this delicious apple pie. You all will endeavour it. It is timeless. I hope Grandma Helen Desler would be proud of all in the family.

This recipe was very challenging. You might wonder how? Yes Since the recipe asks for canola oil and not butter. it make it more difficult to roll out the dough with the roller pin. The dough falls apart. I was racking my brain on this and I was frustrated. So I refrigerated the dough for an hour, so that the glutes can marry together easilly. I kept out of the fridge for 10 mins. before I could roll out the dough. It was still challenging. The bottom crust I managed to hand press as the bottom crust. But rolling out the top crust was like sitting for a GRE test. Difficult to pass. The dough would break apart. Finally I used the wax paper and pressed out the dough. It was manageable. It was a  great success. Try and Try till you succeed.



Recipe are as follows:
2 Crust Pie
Ingredients
2 1/2 Cups unbleached flour
2/3 cup canola
2-3 tblsps cold water

Mix all the above ingredients. If too dry, add a bit more  oil. If too moist add more flour. Divide the dough into two. One for bottom crust and the other for the top. Roll out to fit the bottom of the pie pan. I used see through glass 10" pie pan.

Pre Heat oven to 425 degree.

Ingredients to make pie mix:

1/2 cup white sugar and 1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 tsp nutmeg
2-3 tblsp butter
1 tsp cinnamon powder
8 cups granny smith(green) apples



Mix all the above ingredients well and pour into the pie  crust. Dot with 2-3 tblsp of butter over the mix. Cover the  top with the other half of the rolled out dough. Pinch edges. You can cover edges of the pie with foil tp prevent burning. But remove during last 15 mins. Cut slits into the top
crust.. Bake until crust is brown and the juice bubbles through the slits. Bake 40-50 mins.
serve pie cold or warm with whipped cream.

No comments: