Remember, you will need a steamer to steam these rice cakes. In India, or any indian stores, the steam cake cooker is readilly available. If you have ramikins, you can steam in that too. The Indian steamer for rice cakes are pre made and round in shape. You have to grease the shapes with canola oil or spray. So that you can pour the batter in these mini circular. You need little water(2-3 cups) at the base, then you stack the rice cake racks one by one on top of each other and close the lid. Steam it for 20-25 minutes and let it cool down. Then try to take rice cakes one by one.
2 cups par boiled rice(normal long grain rice is fine) soak in water for 4-5 hours
1/4 cup split black gram(urad dal) 1 hour before you grind
Enough water for grinding(making a paste)
Grind the rice flour with the lentil in a grinder or mixer by adding enough water to grind. Make sure it is not too water or too thick. Grind rice and lentils in batches and pour in a pot. If you want to make steamed rice instantly, then you can add yeast as per directions and quantity needed. All you need is a 1/4 tsp yeast to add. If you are not in a hurry then you can prepare the mix a day prior and keep it overnite to ferment. Add salt to taste and leave it overnight. Make sure that the batter is near warm place for the batter to ferment and rise up, otherwise it will take longer time to ferment.
- 1 tsp coconut/olive oil
- pinch of asafetida
- 1/4 teaspoon black mustard seed(for tempering)
- 2 red chilies broken in pieces
- 6 to 8 curry leaves (1 sprig)
- Roast chana dal on medium heat until it is light brown in color and has a roasted aroma.
- Coarsely grind chana dal in a blender.
- Add Coconut, mint leaves , cilantro, green chilies and salt and continue blending into the paste.
- Add water, as needed, to help with the grinding. Adding the coconut in small amounts also helps this process.
- Before removing from blender, taste chutney to adjust the salt and pepper. Use lemon juice to adjust the sour taste as per your liking. Blend well.
- Heat oil in small pan, when hot, add black mustard seeds and wait till they crack.
- Add asafetida, red chilies and curry leaves.
- Pour the seasoning mixture over the chutney.